Monday, June 8, 2009

India

Hello all. Sorry we take forever to update. First of all - good news! I'm going to graduate! I passed my scary orals exam last Thursday and just went to my last class. Now I just get to wait in the mail for my diploma and I'll be the real deal.

Second of all - we want to go to India! One of Danny's mission companions is starting a charity over there called LDS Charities to help Indian RMs start their own businesses - a mini business school, if you will. The missions in India are English speaking, so the returned missionaries come home with excellent English and people skills. They then go out and get jobs in call centers where they work 80 hours a week and therefore have very little time to serve in church leadership or to raise families in the church. So the idea is that with new business skills and micro crediting they will have the opportunity to be lucritive as well as serve and help with the growth of the church in India. We have volunteered our time to do some fundraising and then to spend a week or two doing interviewing of potential candidates for the program in August or September. In order to go over to help we need to raise between four and five thousand dollars by the end of the summer. We're very excited and we also need some good ideas of how to raise money and who to talk to. We'll keep you posted if we come up with any big events that you can come to.

Oh! And in other news: we moved. Not far - we still live in the low-income housing complex that I work at, but no longer in a studio. We now have two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a living room, and a kitchen. It's a huge step up from the one room we were living in.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on graduating Jessi! Man, I bet it feels good! And India would be INCREDIBLE!! Take me with you!

    ReplyDelete